A Huge Sucking Sound

Subtitled 'Gentleman Take Polaroids' and other Japan song titles. I would like to personally hear from everyone who likes David Sylvian. Just so I can understand exactly why. Seriously, my email address is frakcture@outgun.com. Inquiring minds want to know...

Sunday, April 16, 2006

It's fun. It's easy. I am a product of the Food Network.

It's making fresh pasta. Some of you may be saying "I've been making fresh pasta for years." Well I just started doing this. So be happy for me. Be happy! Please! (I sulk in a corner for an hour.)

Ok, here's the ratio:

Serves two, if i'm not mistaken, which i probably am. I'm not gonna cry.
1 1/2 cups of unbleached all-purpose flour
2 large eggs
A pinch (Don't believe the novelty measuring spoons. This isn't an actual unit.) of salt

Throw the flour in a bowl. If you want to be like an old italian woman from Genoa, pile it on a clean counter surface. Make a hole in the center. Crack the eggs right in there. Throw that salt in with them. Take a fork and beat the eggs. Gradually incorporate the flour in to the eggs, until they form a somewhat crumby mass. Bring It together with your hands and knead for a few mintues. Stick your thumb in the dough to check if its dry. If it is, enclose it in plastic wrap, and let it rest for 30 minutes. No more, no less. Then lob it at a homicidal rabbit. Oh yeah. There's more Monty Python references where that came from.

Take that well-rested dough and roll it out with your trusty pin. If you have a pasta machine, I envy you because I always do it the hard way. An ode to that Genoese woman. Toss flour everywhere, but especially on the dough to keep it from sticking. Roll it into a rectangular shape until it's reasonably thin. You don't want it to tear. Keep throwing around that flour. It's really frickin' fun.

And that's it. Cut it wide, cut it narrow. You can now make many different varities of fresh pasta. "I already knew that." Just...give me this moment. Cook it like you would dried pasta, but for only 2-3 minutes. I'll use any excuse to put things in bold type. It makes the otherwise mundane...bold.

Put a little squid ink in the eggs as you're making it and you can have black pasta. The coolest thing in the world.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home