A Huge Sucking Sound

Subtitled 'Gentleman Take Polaroids' and other Japan song titles. I would like to personally hear from everyone who likes David Sylvian. Just so I can understand exactly why. Seriously, my email address is frakcture@outgun.com. Inquiring minds want to know...

Saturday, May 13, 2006

"Takin' It to the Streets"





Don't wince. Don't go on to the next blog. You know this man. The suave disposition. The encroaching chest hair ready to attack his already heavily populated face. It's Michael McDonald. To know him is to...well, this picture is far too homosexual to use the word "love".

The smoky-as-hungarian-paprika voice (welcome back, hyphens) that crooned such inimitable Doobie Brothers classics as "What a Fool Believes", "Minute by Minute", and "Jesus is Just Alright with Me" (I think), often sounded like a polar bear being smothered by lace-stitched pillows. And we only found it endearing.

He would go on to a solo career, gracing us with "I Keep Forgettin' (Every Time You're Near)", and...who am I kidding, that's the only song of his I can recall. Except for that one with Kenny Loggins. A match made in middle of the road heaven. Wait..."This Is It". That's it. Don't feel bad if you don't remember.

He's recently released a slew of old Motown covers, proving once again that he's always wanted to sound as negro as possible. He also released a Christmas album through Target. You may remember the T.V. advert of Michael's soulfully gravelled baritone, "Deck the halls with boughs of holly....fa-la-la-la-la-la-la-la". 'Tis the season for rampant pagan references from men who look like chinchilla coats.

I think we all hope that Michael McDonald's career will last forever. But it won't. I'll make sure of that.

8 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home