A Huge Sucking Sound

Subtitled 'Gentleman Take Polaroids' and other Japan song titles. I would like to personally hear from everyone who likes David Sylvian. Just so I can understand exactly why. Seriously, my email address is frakcture@outgun.com. Inquiring minds want to know...

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Boredoms

Something fairly amusing happened at work today.

I was packing up boxes to be shipped as part of a company move. The day had gone pretty quick and the tech I was working with on this occasion had a nice disposition.

Another team of people came into the office to start removing the telecommunications equipment. One of them was a small Mexican man (I'm not being stereotypical here. I actually know he was Mexican). As he made his rounds, I noticed a melody that was humming through his nostrils. I thought in a split second:
It's from the late 80s.
A vague Teen Beat quality.
Oh, crap. It's a Rick Astley song.

Not ringing a bell? Let me refresh your memory.
"Together Forever and never to part.
Together Forever we two
And don't you know I would move heaven and earth
To be Together Forever with you."


Still not? Maybe this is more familiar.
"Never gonna give you up
Never gonna let you down
Never gonna run around and desert you
Never gonna make you cry
Never gonna say goodbye
Never gonna tell a lie and hurt you"


If that didn't give it away, I don't know what will. But if you are familiar with these songs, you may have realized what I did. They sound exactly the same. Same tempo, same key, instrumentation, the works. And despite what "Rick Astley's Greatest Hits" would lead you to believe, this man's soulful bellow has only generated these two well known songs.

Am I comdemning him? No. Because you know what? I love these songs. They're trite and ridiculous but I adore them. They remind me of being a seven year old kid, riding in an '87 Mercury Sable with my mother. They stir memories of driving to Dublin, sometimes to my grandmother's on the Northeast side of Columbus. All the while, the radio station turned to 97.9 WNCI. "Not too hard, not too lite." Though I would describe Rick Astley as very "lite".

Why did I write this down? Because I'm in Texas. *Sigh*

On a completely unrelated note, if you're in Ohio, do yourself a big favor. Go see The Boredoms. They may change your life, or provide a curious bump in the road. And I won't be able to see them. Because Texas is hell. Here are some other dates.

Sat 06/24/06 Intonation Music Festival Chicago IL
Sun 06/25/06 Turf Club St. Paul MN
Tue 06/27/06 Wexner Center Columbus OH
Wed 06/28/06 Grog Shop Cleveland Heights OH
Fri 06/30/06 Starlite Philadelphia PA w/ Lighting Bolt
07/07/06 Deitch Projects New York NY

Can't make Tuesday? Go to Cleveland. Please.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:57 PM, June 11, 2006, Blogger Smapdi said…

    I am going to try very hard to see the boredoms on the 27th. I have seen two shows at the Wexner and they were both amazing, so if you say they are good and they are at the wex, then i trust it will be a great show.

    On that note, Rick Astley is actually a black man, but has a white guy lip sync for him.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home