A Huge Sucking Sound

Subtitled 'Gentleman Take Polaroids' and other Japan song titles. I would like to personally hear from everyone who likes David Sylvian. Just so I can understand exactly why. Seriously, my email address is frakcture@outgun.com. Inquiring minds want to know...

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

I Miss the Cold




Nostalgia is a plague. It seems to be triggered with minimal stimuli and can only bring about feelings of despair and sadness. That said, this picture hardly does justice to one of the most beautiful highways in the United States. An extension of the Hutchinson River Parkway, the Merritt Parkway runs through Connecticut like a concrete river, passing vibrant forests and beautiful brick bridges from a different time.
Memories of riding down this hilly and winding parkway only seem to spark happiness, though. It reminds me of going to a three dollar concert at Fairfield University to witness Aloha for the first time. Them and another brilliant band by the name of Shortpants Romance.
It reminds me of meeting Zach Ebel at a families home to play really weird guitar-drum improv, only to scare some, but delight and entertain a large Japanese 'clientele'.
It reminds me of finding a large Connecticut park that had on it's premises a large home surrounded by a gorgeous garden. I lost myself there for about an hour or so, eventually sitting down in a secluded alcove to read in perhaps the most serene setting I've ever encountered.
The Merritt signaled good things to come. Maybe there are a few places like that for you, too. These are the tangible, yet insubstantial insurances for the future that I as a weak human being cling to. These also remind me that it's far more effective to cling to Jehovah.

In other words, Texas sucks.

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home